Monday, March 3, 2008

Water Alternatives

A Walk "Under" the Water
My son, Pat, and I are both connected to water, but in very different ways. I like to mix color with my water in little puddles on a pallet and he likes to dive right in the really huge puddles. He is an Underwater Welder and his work day is below the surface of oceans all over the world.
Meet my son Pat.
Some years ago he called me and said I thought you'd like to know that I'm thinking of going to school in Texas. I told him I thought that was nice. He said, "yah, Mom, I'm going to learn how to work underwater"! That certainly got my attention. Underwater? No, no I don't think that's a very good idea at all. I must live by the ocean, but I don't want to be in the ocean. I have a fear of water that has stayed with me since childhood. I must have done a pretty good job of not instilling my fear of water in my kids, because here is my youngest wanting to work underwater, of all things. Well, this was close to my worst nightmare. I didn't come right out and say "ARE YOU STUPID!", but I certainly was thinking it. I asked what kind of work will you do underwater. I was then beginning to envision the romance of the seas, hunting sunken pirate ships, finding fabulous treasures or maybe researching the bounty the sea had to offer. He pulled me out of my reverie saying, " I'm going to learn to weld underwater." Right, and tell me Pat, exactly how do you propose to light a flame underwater? That's what I'm going to school to learn!"
And learn he did! This and the following pictures were taken in the Gulf of Mexico. He does indeed weld underwater. Hurricane Katrina not only devastated on shore, but she also created havoc off shore, oil rigs and pipe lines must be repaired on the ocean floor. This has been keeping dives very busy.
It's imperative that all the equipment is in excellent working condition and that everything works perfectly on their hat. The divers have an air tank, called a "bail out" on their backs, for emergencies. They must have complete trust in their top side support. Air must be regulated and hoses kept free of encumbrances Pat started out as a "Tender", one who "tends" the divers. Eventually, he managed to log the number of required dives and was promoted.
His work has given him the opportunity to see much of the world. He has worked off the coasts of Africa, India. Thailand and the coast of Mexico. He will soon be going to Trinidad. Flying to his work has given him the opportunity to stay over and visit London, Paris, Johannesburg, cities in Ghana etc. They work under contract for a certain length of time from a couple of weeks up to 90 days offshore. They work from an incredibly huge barge, which is like a small city. He's said that some of the barges actually have a restaurant on them. From what he has told me, they eat very well and read a lot of books. Since I read a lot as well as paint he has suggested some great authors to me that I might not have otherwise read. Wilbur Smith is one of those authors. His novels take place mostly in Africa and are excellent reads. For the past Christmas he gave me books by Smith. A thrilling gift! The Courtney series, the Ballentine series and the Egyptian series and a lot of stand alone books. Obviously I am quite proud of him and his accomplishments. I try not to worry, but hey, I'm a Mom, it's my job to worry a little bit. Especially since his job is waaaay below the surface of the seas. In October he was sent to work in Boston Harbor, just in time for the early winter snows and freezing weather there. The divers used wet suits that had hot water circulating through them. He was also there for the World Series, but had to watch it on t.v. As you can tell my knowledge of working underwater is very limited, but it has been perhaps somewhat informative and certainly outside my norm of Brasil and my watercolor paintings. I have encouraged him to begin his own Blog along with some of his diver friends. I think it would be very interesting from such a personal point of view. Working underwater in construction is not an every day job, nor is it one of those of jobs where you can sit on the sidewalk bleachers during lunch hour and watch the men at work. Till tomorrow, dance with the moon.

No comments: