Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Hump Day

Sometimes Words Aren't That Great!
Wednesdays are good days. Another soup day. Actually it's Gazpacho. I painted this one several years ago when I was still in my "graphics period". They are like ghosts haunting my painting file. I even had the recipe for Gazpacho "shudder" written on the painting.
Then there is Mexican Cookery and other Art. That is actually the title of a small Mexican Cookbook I wrote a very long time ago. The illustration for the cover was different than this painting. Think I should have stuck to the illustration!

And then there is Clay Art. This was during my pottery throwing years. Unfortunately I didn't make it here with the disc that has all my pottery pictures on it. It's no doubt lost in the myriad boxes that fill 3 different storage units. 2 in Idaho and one in Florida. It's good that my secret of writing words all over my paintings is out in the open now. But, these were a long time ago and I've grown a little bit since then.

My friend Barb sent me pictures of the Ice Storm that happened in Ohio where she lives last night and this morning. There are quite a few reasons I moved to Brasil, and one of them was to kick the frost of snow, ice and cold weather from my heel. I was pretty shocked at my response upon seeing the pictures. I was overcome with homesickness. I haven't seen snow or been cold for 3 years. I'd forgotten how much I loved grey cloudy days, I'm much more creative on those days, for some reason. I called them my "monochromatic" days. We do have a rainy season here, but its not a cold windy rain. Actually, it's rather nice. It simply falls straight down from the sky often in opaque sheets, which turns the street in front of our apartment into a rushing river. Then it stops abruptly the sun comes out and the humidity rises and our breeze begins a new cycle.

We live in the brown and creme building. Picture was taken from a friends apartment. The palm tree that is at the corner of the building with blue windows is about 7 stories tall. The next picture is of that building which is across the street from us and you can see the palms. They are amazing. Most of the palms here are coconut palms.

The Atlantic is a beautiful blue green and bathtub warm. This is a view from my balcony. I have enlarged it so it makes the beach appear much closer that it is. It is actually 2 blocks down to the beach. You can see a bit of white almost in the middle which is an outcropping of rocks. We can tell whether the tide is in or out by that. In this picture the tide is almost all the way in. When it is out we can see the rocks. In the distance you can see a container ship which is coming into dock. We see huge cruise ships coming into port and of course the one sail Jangada's used by the fishermen. We have favorite vendors who visit us on the beach and now and then we will see them someplace else and they call out to us. This fellow is our favorite hat vendor. We have bought several hats from him. A bright pink one for Melissa, (see below) for Ana a blue one and I have the sedate bbeige one.

"You can click on the smaller images to enlarge them."

I hope you have enjoyed, 'til tomorrow "Dance for the Moon"

1 comment:

Barb Sailor said...

The Mexican Cookery art is really cool! I love the colors. As usual, your blog is VERY interesting!
Luv,
Barb